Saturday, December 15, 2012

Responsibilities Vs. Accomplishments

Responsibilities and accomplishments are not the same thing. For example, if I've a bulleted item on my resume saying that I increased sales by 17% in 3 months, this is an accomplishment because I can tell you how I did it (added 3 new sales people, set up a telemarketing department, changed the compensation plan, etc.). This is very important from saying I was responsible for sales. The very nature of a statement referring to responsibility makes it difficult to answer "how". When a person describes an accomplishment, you can easily get an answer as to how it was achieved. If a person describes a responsibility, you must dig to find the accomplishments achieved within the responsibility. Finally, remember that just because a person makes a statement like "responsible for U.S. Sales", it does not mean he/ she was any good at it. I have known countless people who were responsible for many things and were terrible at it. Responsibility does not necessarily equal success. Instead, be on the outlook for past accomplishments because they are the true indicators of what a person will do in the future.

 (Source : Ch - Basic Interviewing Skills from Book - Hiring & Retaining Top IT Professionals, By - Howard Adamsky) 

No comments:

Post a Comment